I am an engineering manager with a background in full stack web software development. I am focused on building teams that help engineers grow.
UserVoice - Raleigh, NC
February 2012 - Present
Director of Engineering Operations, November 2017 - Present
- Coordinating infrastructure, reliability and performance efforts across the engineering team
- Working with engineering teams to establish and iterate on scalable development practices
- Leading engineering hiring efforts
Engineering Manager, January 2016 - November 2017
Created and led the Platform Operations team. This team owns software & systems reliability, infrastructure, and incident response.
- Onboarded 7 software engineers via this team over 2 years. (100% retention)
- Drove cultural change by establishing personal development as a core function of our team.
- Implemented and iterated on incident response process. Prioritized follow-up, implemented metrics and alerts, and hardened infrastructure to dramatically reduce frequency and impact of incidents.
- Managed a backlog of product/infrastructure issues and enhancements. Worked with Product, Support & Success teams to prioritize weekly.
- Managed migration from hosted hardware to Google Cloud Platform.
- Upgraded a large Rails app from 2.4 to 4.2
- Refactored a large and unwieldy Rails test suite. Brought CI test run time from 10+ mins to 3.5 mins. Set organizational standards for testing.
- Reworked countless components of a 10 year old Rails codebase to optimize for horizontal scalability.
Software Engineer, February 2012 - January 2016
Full stack development of new features for helpdesk and feedback products.
- Contributed to design and implementation of next-generation Go API to drive new feedback product.
- Led engineering of embeddable support/feedback widget.
- Designed and implemented bulk ticket action system allowing admins to quickly perform (and undo) operations on hundreds of thousands of tickets.
GO Interactive - Pasadena, CA
Software Engineer, December 2008 - February 2012
Built web applications and scalable data collection/analysis systems as half of a 2 person engineering team at our tiny startup. Key projects:
- Distributed Twitter listener network to monitor discussion of sporting events and athletes to provide real-time commentary
- Backend for a daily fantasy sports game that collected and displayed real-time stats and scoring
- RSS crawler and blog discovery engine crawling 1MM+ blogs daily
- Developed and patented an algorithm to detect notable blog posts based on reader feedback USPTO #8,073,947
Snap.com - Pasadena, CA
January 2005 - December 2007
Developer, January 2006 - December 2007
Built rapid prototypes, web applications, backend tools and interactive widget infrastructure.
QA Engineer, January 2005 - December 2006
Built a test automation infrastructure (using Watir/Ruby) that allowed a small team to test enormous products.
University of North Texas: BA - Radio, Television & Film, 2000-2004
Synthesizers, drum machines, burritos, NHL 94 (SNES), D.B. Cooper